|
ΕΝΑ ΓΑΤΑΚΙ ΣΤΟΝ ΚΑΘΡΕΦΤΗ
Από το περιοδικό Διάπλασις των Παίδων
Αθήναι, 27 Οκτωβρίου 1928
ΤΟΥ ΙΔΙΟΥ:
|
A KITTEN IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR Rendered by Vassilis C. Militsis
Xenopoulos was chief editor of the now-legendary magazine "The Edification of Children" (Η Διάπλασις των Παίδων) from 1896 to 1948, during which time he was also the magazine's main author. His was the trademark signature "Σας ασπάζομαι, Φαίδων" ("yours faithfully, Phaedon, literally: I’m kissing you)" The following letter is taken from this magazine.
Athens, October 27, 1928 Dear Friends,
We were given a little kitten in the neighborhood. It was a cute, white, female puss – but with too long whiskers – very clever and lively. We were all infatuated by the naughty imp! We don’t let it out of our hands: we look after it, feed it, wash it, play with it, and at night we take it in our beds. We dread for its life, its tiny life; it is a question of stepping on the little creature to… One day, greedy as it is, snatched a hunk of bread core… colored – my daughter, who paints, cleaned her colors with it. In no way could we take it out of its mouth! It gulped it down at once. Shortly it manifested the symptoms of mild poisoning. We were afraid it could not make it, and we were preparing to mourn for its premature and needless demise treating the loss as a great misfortune… But, to our great joy, the little kitten survived – cats have nine lives after all – and in the very same evening it started its antics again – its games, its roguishness, its funny acts and its mischiefs…
I think it is thoroughly needless to describe its devilries. You also have kittens and you know at first hand. But I’ve got to tell you this: my kitten is more beautiful and cleverer than any other in the world, and consequently than yours. It is an exceptional kitten – I should say “supernatural”. Its whiskers and its eyes prove it; for despite my age, I have never seen a two month-old kitten having longer whiskers, and larger and brighter eyes. And please, I brook no objection about this and I don’t mean to discuss it with anyone. You ought not to envy me my better kitten than yours; neither should you hold it against me for being so blunt.
So far so good; but I wonder if this exceptional kitten is indeed happy… You must certainly believe that the kitten is very happy. Since we all love it so much, since our house belongs to it, too, since it is provided with food and shelter, since it is free to play as long as it wants, what else does it need to enjoy perfect cat happiness? I admit that I had that impression, as well, until the day before yesterday, but I proved to be wrong: our kitten is not entirely happy! It misses something, which is the companionship of its own kind – the cuddle, the milk and the grooming of its mother, as well as the caresses, the games and the fake fights with its siblings. Don’t you think that what it misses is very important, and nothing, no human affection and care can substitute it? These days, there is no other grown cat from Pitch in our house; and Pitch grew jealous of the kitten. Whenever the kitten crossed Pitch’s path, she growled at it. “Shame on you,” we scolded her; “you are a grown up, jet black and glorious cat, and you are jealous of a puny, white and insignificant puss.” In vain! The jealous cat continued her threatening snarls. We were afraid that she might gouge out the kitten’s eyes or she might scare it to madness – such a tame creature! – so we didn’t let Pitch upstairs where, willy-nilly, we keep the kitten confined. The kitten is too small to climb down the stairs. Therefore, it can’t see any of its kind, whether friend or enemy, save humans. The day before yesterday, it saw one of its kin: it saw… itself in the mirror. You can’t imagine its surprise and joy! It immediately began to sniff, kiss, lick at its image and attack it playfully. It was at a loss for falling flat on its face against the glass; so, it was looking behind it to discover this unexpected and peculiar companion. And then it would turn around and began the tests anew. Finally, it realized that the kitten it was looking at in the mirror was not like the kittens it remembered at its own home – it couldn’t be touched or caught, there! – and so let it go to come and play with us. But it didn’t give up all hope to let it go forever. Every now and then it would remember it and go back to scrutinize it. You might say it was content and comforted with just staring at it… Thus, a while ago I saw a very touching scene: I was looking for the kitten, which was nowhere to be found or heard. Shortly I found it idling on the back of an armchair near the wardrobe with its little snout stuck onto the mirror! I approached slowly and noticed it had been sleeping: every so often he half opened its eyes and stared at its double lying also on the back of an armchair and sticking its little mug to its own – merely the hard, cold glass that separated them – and blinked its eyes at the other’s eyes. Oh, yes! That was enough to console my unhappy kitten! How sorry I felt for it! And afterwards when I saw my wife wash it with water and soap and dry it with a piece of cloth, while the poor thing resisted to such an unusual ablution for a cat, I said to her: “Why don’t we give it back to its mother? She can wash it far better using her tongue and saliva without tormenting it. “Tormenting it? No big deal!” she replied. “Then it won’t take long. Soon it will grow up and learn to wash by itself.” It is true; our kitten will grow up and will be able to wash itself. It will befriend Pitch, it will be able to climb down the stairs, go out, see its mother and siblings again, and make new acquaintances in the neighborhood. But still I wonder whether it will be entirely happy then. Perhaps it will miss our affection it now enjoys as a baby. Or if what most people say is true: unlike dogs, cats do not care about people’s endearments too much…
Yours faithfully
Phaedon
|
Τετάρτη 24 Νοεμβρίου 2021
HUMANS AND PETS - ΤΟ ΓΑΤΑΚΙ ΚΑΙ Ο ΚΑΘΡΕΦΤΗΣ
-
Η ΑΡΡΩΣΤΙΑ ΠΟΥ ΘΥΜΑΤΑΙ ΤΑ ΠΑΛΙΑ Τάσος Καλούτσας «Τι κάνει σήμερα η γιαγιά;» ρώτησα την Ιβάνκα, βγαίνοντας στο μπαλκονά...
-
EXORCISM By Vassilis C. Militsis Father Parthenios, abbot of the monastery of Our Beatific Holy Lady, was a 75-year-old man, of...
-
Ο ΔΟΚΗΣΙΣΟΦΟΣ του Ανδρέα Λασκαράτου (1811-1901) Ο δοκησίσοφος έλαβε από τη φύση του το χάρισμα του ...